Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

ImediaShare PS3

Ever wonder how to share video or audio from your iPhone to your PS3? I found an app called iMediaShare that works with the PS3. I will provide you with a step by step of how to set everything up and provide updates on some of the cool features I find.

So here's the deal, I love my PS3. I use it for as my main source of entertainment. I also have an iPhone 4. I am too cheap, or maybe just content, to upgrade. I am not stuck on Apple products but I do enjoy my iPhone and it has been rock solid for what I use it for.

I took a video of my dog Dyson the other day and wanted to show it to the family without having to deal with passing my phone around and dealing with the "where did it go?" screen presses and swipes. I am sure you know how grandma and the kids can be.....

I found an app in the iPhone App Store that looked promising for what I was wanting to do. It is called iMediaShare. It comes in both a paid and a free version. The free version will work just fine for our needs.

The first thing you need to do is get your PS3 setup to recognize media streaming devices on your network.

  1. Turn on your PS3.
  2. Using your PS3 controller, slide over to Settings and then scroll down to Network Settings and press the X button.
  3. Scroll down to Media Server Connection and press the X button.
  4. Highlight Enabled and press the X button
  5. Press the O button once to back out of the menu.
  6. Your PS3 will now look for media servers on your network.
I downloaded iMediaShare and fired it up for the first time. I was greeted with a pop up asking if iMediaShare could access my photos on my iPhone. Not being a paranoid fella, I said OK.

I was then greeted with some informational pages describing the features of iMediaShare and what it can do. A few gentle swipes of my finger and I was onto the Ready To Start page. iMediaShare gives you the option to sign in using Facebook, which I did not want to utilize yet. I chose to poke the Skip Log in link instead.

I was greeted with a screen full of categorized images. The categories ranged from Featured to Live News. Impressive so far...

But how do I get to my video? How to I stream it through my PS3? All media located on your iPhone is located in the Personal category. The category includes Camera Roll Videos, Camera Roll Photos, My Music, and Local Network.
  1. Poke the Camera Roll Videos image.
  2. Poke Camera Roll in the My Videos list.
  3. Poke the video you want to Share
  4. Poke PlayStation 3 listed under Choose a Screen
  5. You are greeted with a message that states: "please use your PlayStation 3 controller and go to Video >> iMediaShare >> Videos >> Now playing.
  6. Poke the OK button
Back to my PS3 controller I go!
  1.  Slide to the video menu
  2. Slide down and you should see iMediaShare Lite with your iPhone name after it.
  3. Press the X button
  4. Slide down to the Videos folder and press the X button.
  5. You are greeted with all the available video options listed in the iMediaShare iPhone application.
  6. Find Now Playing and press the X button.
  7. You should see all the videos from your iPhone Camera Roll listed
  8. Scroll to the Video you want to share and press the X button.
  9. Your video will begin to play!!!!
Yes, it is that easy.  Kudos to the iMediaShare application developers and to Sony for making some great tools.

Stay tuned for more of my PS3 media sharing adventures!

17 comments:

  1. No, not so easy. Tried all this and so much more but for some reason the damn PS3 will not come up as an option on the app. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure the PS3 is turned on and verify the Media Server connection is enabled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHH!! my ps3 my media servers is turned on and not one thing pops up.What to do now any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried this but when I went to my PS3, went to video, imedia, photos and then now playing, it said "There are no titles."

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does not work for the PS3. tried it for my Galaxy phone and its a no go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Shobox Application is the dream application for all the movie as well as TV lovers out there
    shobox

    ReplyDelete
  7. On my media share the Facebook logo ain't even there and it won't download shit off fb

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have imediashare in the ps3 but not on Android device, why??

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m from United States, My husband divorced me 3 years ago for no reason, i did all i could to get him but didn't work, until i met Dr.Agbazara of AGBAZARA TEMPLE on the internet who helped me to cast a re-union spell and within 24hours my husband came back to me apologizing. Thanks to Dr.agbazara. Contact this great spell caster on your relationship or marriage problems on:
    ( agbazara@gmail.com ) OR WHATSAPP: +2348104102662.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This has nothing to do with my internet connection at home. As I type this, I still can't sign in on PSN, but I can hop on my computer to Blogger and type this. This is an issue with Play Station, not me. best ps4 games

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have to make sure you WiFi is on and linked up to the same network as the ps3 is on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can see my music but it won’t let me play my music videos let alone control the app Hulu. The is no “cast” button in my Hulu app once it’s open either. Can someone help with this?

    ReplyDelete
  13. The error message comes up as “media server error; an http error (416) has occurred” when I try to play the musi and music videos.

    ReplyDelete